Distance from hotel: 4,0 km
Gendarmenmarkt is one of the most beautiful places in Europe – a must for everyone. Here the Deutscher Dom (German Cathedral), the Franzüsicher Dom (French Cathedral) and the Concert hall create a beautiful architectural ensemble.
The square was laid out in 1688 by J. A. Nering; it was originally known as Linden-Markt, later then Friedrichstädtischer or Neuer Markt. The name Gendarmenmarkt arose many years later because the square was used by a curassier regiment „gens d’arms“ with sentry boxes and stables. In 1991 its previous name "Gendarmenmarkt" was restored.